Feb 19, 2013

Embracing Melancholia


Talking about all the problems in the world puts a spring in my step and a smile on my face. Talking about what's on TV or anything to do with celebrities makes me really, really sad. And sometimes I have to force myself not to run from the room when the the celebrity talk starts. I'd rather hear someone rant about chemtrails than about Princess Kate's pregnancy. When someone starts talking about Beyonce I have to force myself not to gossip about my favorite celebrity Pvt. Bradley Manning

I really like this take on Negative Nancy and can see myself in this skit, cursing out everything that happens from the minute I get up to the minute I go to bed. Being a Debbie Downer is clearly not on trend these days, but I think I'm part of a grand tradition of melancholia

Durer portrays melancholia as "the state of waiting for inspiration to strike, and not necessarily as a depressive affliction".  How many great songs have been written about happy things? Where would modern art be without embracing alienation and purposelessness? And where would this world be without us Negative Nancys & Debbie Downers yelling as loud as we can about all the issues that aren't covered by mainstream media? 


I made and photographed this funny sad face with the plastic debris washed up on the beach.



No comments:

Post a Comment