Apr 17, 2012

Recovering Art Major


I don't think I ever got a good critique on a painting. How did I deal with that? Simple, I stopped painting. Its pretty easy for me to look at a found or discarded object and think of some interesting way to transform it, but facing a blank canvas armed with just paints is something I just don't do.  For some reason doing a bad painting makes me feel like a total failure. 

I decided to go dive into that emotional territory and spend the afternoon painting. The results were so bad ... even the rags looked better than what I was working on. I felt like a total failure. I grabbed a beer and did a little journal writing for therapy. Then I threw everything in the trash except this one. 

Now I'm looking at this painting thinking "Its not really that bad. Maybe I can do this." 

No comments:

Post a Comment