Mar 31, 2012

Something New


I was looking around my studio and found many things that were just damn ugly. The only thing they had going for them was that they were vintage, and vintage isn't always pretty. On their own the color combinations weren't working, and when I held them together ... yikes! So I decided to take these mismatched ugLY fabric and paper and make a collage.

First I made a kind of a patchwork then adjusted the colors a bit with glazes. Still not much going on, so I added some oil pastels. What I really like about this piece is that it looks nothing like anything I've ever done before. So my recommendation is take the ugliest, mismatched stuff in your studio and make something out of it. Maybe you'll find something new as well. 

2 comments:

  1. LOL Love your first sentence! I've got a bit of that stuff in my stash too. Did you wonder as you were looking at them, "Now WHY did I get this junk in the first place??"

    Thanks for my morning smile... and the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. i've got some of that "ugly" stuff in my stash. it's kinda like taking lemons and making lemonade.

    ReplyDelete